Familiar taste of Tiga-T at Warong Serambi


At last, I’m tasting that familiar flavour again in a local specialty that I had dubbed Tiga-T or Three T’s!

En Wahid and his wife, Pn Zaiton, working together to serve
customers at Warong Serambi Warisan Jauhar [Left]
This is because Tiga-T is a plant-based dish, made with three main ingredients, Tahu (beancurd), Taugeh (beansprouts) and Timun (cucumber)!

Ever since my first taste of Tiga-T years ago at Warung Saga at Jalan Mahmoodiah, where it was originally served, I have become a firm fan of this simple dish.

The husband and wife team of Encik Wahid and Puan Zaiton, who have been serving Tahu Goreng (Fried Beancurd also known as Tiga-T!) over the years, have earned a large following who enjoy their typically Johor-style menu of dishes.

Convenient parking in the evenings;
Note the Johor Baru landmarks located opposite
Then I learnt that their business was relocated to Warong Serambi Warisan Jauhar, in a food-court within the compound of Kompleks Sultan Abu Bakar, the premises of Yayasan Warisan Johor or Johor Heritage Foundation at Jalan Sungai Chat.

I heard about loyal fans following them to their new location but I did not have an opportunity to drop by until recently when my friend, Harish, invited me to join his family for a meal there.

And here, I savoured the familiar taste of Tiga-T again!

A serving of Tahu Goreng (Fried Beancurd) AKA Tiga-T 
Tahu Goreng or Fried Beancurd, is made up of cubes of fried beancurd which are crispy on the outside and smooth on its insides, topped with lightly blanched beansprouts and slices of raw cucumber.

A light soy sauce which tastes both savoury and spicy, is drizzled over the Three-T ingredients and topped with a sprinkle of toasted crushed peanuts.

“Is that all you are having?” Harish’s mother asked with both curiosity and genuine concern.

I promptly replied, “Yes!” because for me, this dish just hits the spot!

Another Johor favourite, Mee Bandung
But I quickly confessed that I would usually order three portions to split between two people – for more (slurp!) satisfaction.

I do not think that this is odd but was glad when Harish agreed with me without hesitation!

Meanwhile, the others ordered popular items like Mee Bandung, Mee Goreng and Nasi Ayam Sambal, from the menu.

It’s simple warong or Malay street food but dishes here are served in generous portions with whole prawns and ingredients in the rice or noodles.

Visible ingredients in the Seafood Mee Goreng
On a counter, I saw condiments like pickled Green chilli, soya sauce and even cutlery and paper serviettes for diners to self-serve themselves in this casual dining food court.

While the menu may not extensive, I like how Warong Serambi Warisan Jauhar takes pride in serving dishes that reflect a Johor heritage.

Warong Serambi Warisan Jauhar is located within Kompleks Sultan Abu Bakar, the premises of Yayasan Warisan Johor or Johor Heritage Foundation, at Jalan Sungai Chat, 80100 Johor Baru, Johor. Tel: + 6013 766 0880 and +6013 733 8002.

Open daily from 12 noon to 12 midnight. Closed on Saturday.

P.S. I must mention that I also had a takeaway portion of Tahu Goreng to share with my mother. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment