Chill-out Weekend Brunch at Quivo

In his message to help me find my way to our Weekend Brunch at Quivo, a restaurant located on the Ground floor of Mid Valley Mall, Southkey, my friend emphasized, “…the North Entrance.”


Facade of Quivo on the Ground floor of
Mid Valley Megamall Southkey, close to
the North Entrance of the mall
It was a helpful tip because if I entered the massive mall by the South Entrance, I would see Sogo department store and Quivo is situated on the opposite end of the mall, close to the North Entrance.


Once I found my bearings, I made a beeline for Quivo and was ushered into the city’s coolest alfresco restaurant and bar, designed with a wide dining hall that opened into a spacious patio, fringed by lush greenery.


I was charmed by the captivating sight of an attractive display of cakes and pastries at the dessert counter and at the live pizza station, I saw the chefs rolling out flat bread to bake pizza in the oven.


The first of many Applesam Boi
drinks for me!
As we studied the menu, my friends and I were delighted that the made-to-order and all-you-can-eat/drink Weekend Brunch came with free-flow of brunch mocktails, juices and soft drinks.


Bathed by balmy breezes., we agreed that on a cloudy day such as this, it was just right to linger with friends and family over a leisurely lunch.


While we were still digesting the info and deciding on which dishes to order and in which sequence, a helpful waiter was on hand to take our drinks order.


My choice of their creative cocktails was Applesam Boi, an icy drink of apple assam boi mixed with apple syrup. And when it was served, I took my first sip and must confess that I could not stop at just one glass of this refreshing drink.


Egg Benedict on an English muffin
For a start, a recommended paddleboard loaded with a basket of Parmesan Bread Rolls and Sesame Grissini with small side dishes of soft butter, spinach fondue, onion dip, spiced peanuts, and vegetable crudites, was served to our table.


As my fingers reached out to snap off a bread stick to dip into the spinach fondue, I was mindful of pacing myself carefully so that I could savour many more items from the exciting menu and firmly reminded myself to save some space for the desserts.


Some Asian Favourites [Left to Right]
Chicken Congee, Nyonya Laksa and Mamak Mia
From the menu, we discovered that there was indeed something for everyone!


I liked that there was a choice of eggs because I thought, a brunch was not complete without some eggs.


My eyes zeroed in on Truffle Egg on Brioche and decided that this was a must-have item.


There were also two choices of poached egg – Salmon Royale and Egg Benedict with beef bacon – served on an English muffin, Egg (fried to your liking) on Toast and Omelette made with Mushrooms, bell peppers, turkey ham and cheese.


Briyani Mutton Varuval
[Warning: Also cannot stop at one!]
To satisfy the Asian palate, there were familiar choices of Chicken Congee, Nasi Lemak, Mamak Mia (spicy noodles!), Nyonya Laksa and Briyani Mutton Varuval.


A peek at the next table assured me that each of the portions served were small, in dishes reminiscent of Spanish tapas or Chinese dim sum to share, so that diners could finish the portion and then repeat the order, if they so wished.


Assured that nothing will go to waste, we each picked our choices from the Hot from the Stove list.


A serving of Minute Steak [Austalian Beef]
The meat-lovers among us did not hesitate to choose the Minute Steak made with Australian beef, Meatball Crostini, Chicken Parmigiana or Sausage & Mash.


Meanwhile the fans of fish were also satisfied with the Fish & Dip, a portion made with a chunk of dory fillet coated with filo pastry, served with tartar sauce.


And those who were partial towards pasta were not disappointed as there were two choices of pasta items to choose from: Linguini Carbonara with creamy parmesan cheese and Penne Arrabiata with Eggplant in spicy tomato sauce, basil and chilli.


A petite portion of a Malaysian favourite,
Nasi Lemak
After enjoying the servings of meat and starch, it was time to balance it off with choices from the list of refreshing Salads.


Besides classic Caesar Salad, there were choices of Green Bean Salad with Smoked Salmon, Warm Cauliflower Salad, Garlic Herb Marinated Mushrooms, and Panzanella, a bread salad topped with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onion and olives drizzled with balsamic dressing.


On the menu, I read, Pass Around Pizza, as a suggestion to share and this was exactly what we did.


Freshly made pizza from the live pizza station
We passed the platter of pizza around for everyone to help themselves to a slice of pizza in a choice of toppings of either Classic Margherita or Pepperoni Picante.


Finally, it was time for the Sweet Delights. We could pick from the chef’s creations of freshly baked cakes and muffins or place orders for Cinnamon French Toast or Pancake served with butter and maple syrup.


A sweet treat for dessert!
There were also Cream Puffs stuffed with vanilla and custard and jars of Tiramisu – Italian trifle rich with mascarpone cheese and a hint of expresso, to end our brunch sweetly.


As I licked clean my spoonful of Tiramisu, I was glad that I had paced myself throughout the meal and saved some space for the sweet endings…mmm…


Feeling comfortable with our fill of good food, we lingered over drinks, chilling out to music from a happening playlist, soaking in the cool vibe that was uniquely Quivo. 


The Quivo Weekend Brunch is served from 12pm to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday, priced at RM75 per person and RM38 per child aged between six and 12. Prices do not include 10% service charge and Government taxes.


Freshly made pizza for you?
Diners may choose to enjoy their Brunch with beer or wine at an additional cost of RM73 for free-flow of Tiger draught beer or free-flow of house red and white wines at an additional RM83, served from 12pm to 3pm.


Quivo Live Southkey [Halal Kitchen] is located at G-050, The Mall, Mid Valley Southkey, Persiaran Southkey 1, Southkey, 80150 Johor Baru.


Open daily from 10am till late. For reservations and event enquires, Tel: +607 – 338 4684. 


For more info, visit webpage: quivo.my

No comments:

Post a Comment