Wan Li presents creative Chinese cuisine


When I was introduced to the Chinese Head Chef at Renaissance Johor Baru last year, I remember quizzing Chef Linus Mak about his hometown because he shares the same surname as our late grandmother.


Wan Li Chinese Restaurant is at the
lobby level of Renaissance Johor Baru

No, we are not related by blood, but it was fun to connect with another person with the same (rare!) surname and whose forefathers probably hailed from the same province in China.


It was not important if that was really so because I still enjoyed the Halal Chinese cuisine prepared by Chef Linus and his team at Wan Li Chinese Restaurant.


Recently I was at Wan Li again for a preview of the exciting new ala carte menu that Chef Linus had created in collaboration with Executive Chef Fredrick Kho Choon Khim and the Wan Li culinary team.


I studied the list of dishes prepared for the preview and privately congratulated myself for bringing my appetite along to savour three appetizers, one soup, five dishes that featured meat, prawns, poultry and rice, and finally, a dessert.


Some specialties at Wan Lin Chinese Restaurant

Meanwhile Restaurant Manager, Henry Lee, was proud to show me a copy of their (regularly sanitized!) new menu.


As I turned the glossy pages and admired the slick photographs of some of their specialties, I wondered if the dishes would look and taste just as mouth-watering.


My curiosity was satisfied when the three appetizers were served – because they looked exactly like the images featured on the menu – so all I had to do was to discover if these dishes passed the taste test.


I could easily tell the Wok-fried White Bait flavoured with Spicy Crispy Garlic and Glazed air-dried Beef Fillet with Chilli Sauce, from the salad made with slivers of Free-Range Chicken tossed with (lots of!) Chinese Coriander, Fried Shallots and Black Truffle.


Double-boiled Silky Fowl Soup, rich with
ingredients like dark garlic king, conpoy
and vegetables  

A slow munch of the crispy white bait tinged with the rich flavour of deep-fried garlic and the chewy, beefy taste of the wafer-thin sheets of beef fillet, was enough to whet my appetite for more.


Served piping hot and kept warm in a covered, deep ceramic bowl, was the Double-boiled Silky Fowl Soup with Dark Garlic King, Conpoy and Vegetables.


When I dipped my spoon into the nutritious dark soup, I discovered the quality ingredients which included meaty portions of black chicken.


I thought the refreshing taste of grilled rack of Lamb flavoured with homemade Pineapple Barbecue Sauce was a rather untraditional Chinese dish while Stir-fried Prawn Fritters in Curry Butter Milk Sauce, made with deshelled plump prawns coated in an even more surprising taste, was reminiscent of North Indian cuisine.


Fried Chicken with Dried Chilli, Garlic
and Szechuan Pepper

At my first bite of the Fried Chicken flavoured with Dried Chilli, Garlic and Szechuan Pepper, I knew that even non-fans of fried chicken would just fall in love with this.


As my chopsticks reached out for yet another piece of tasty fried chicken, I must admit that one piece was just not enough!


The piece de resistance in this menu must be the Wok-fried Australian Wagyu Beef with Foie Gras and Asparagus that features tender slices of beef along with chunks of melt-in-your-mouth foie gras, the perfect foil for crunchy sticks of asparagus.


Stir-fried Prawns in Curry Butter Milk Sauce
The creativity continued in the Fragrant Fried Rice with Conpoy, Egg White, Garlic Crisps and Beet Root Juice, an ingredient which added its bright colour to the rice.


I had wisely saved some space for dessert because it was a double dessert of Chilled Mango Puree and Pomelo with a side of homemade Steamed Custard Bun.


[By the way, Wan Li also serves a Halal menu of dim sum with Steamed Custard Buns among its recommended items.]


Australian Wagyu Beef with Foie Gras
and Asparagus 
Aware that its gooey insides might burst through the light pastry, I turned the bun upside down and gently peeled open its pastry, taking care not to spill a drop of the generous dollop of salted egg puree. Mmm… It was no surprise that I finished it!


I had just washed (Malaysian style) a stain of salted egg puree off my fingers with a splash of Chinese tea when Chef Linus came to chat with us at the table.


Emerging from the kitchen where he was working hard to whip up this gorgeous meal, he looked rather flushed and sweat-soaked in his smart tunic but remained highly receptive as we gave him our constructive comments for each dish.


Double dessert of Chilled Mango Puree and
Pomelo with a Steamed Custard Bun

When I told him, “Full marks for creativity,” Chef Linus accepted the compliment with a charming smile.


From now till December 12, diners will enjoy 20% off ala carte orders at Wan Li.


Wan Li Chinese Restaurant (Halal) is on the lobby level of Renaissance Johor Baru, at No. 2 Jalan Permas 11, Bandar Baru Permas Jaya, 81750 Johor Baru, Johor.


For reservations, Tel: +607 – 381 3388 or email, henry.lee@renaissancehotels.com

Enquiries and orders may also be sent by WhatsApp to Tel: +6018 – 7800787.

No comments:

Post a Comment