My Johor Stories at Anantara Desaru Coast

 

Since the Anantara Desaru Coast Resort and Villas opened in December 2019, I was keen to visit because I was delighted that Desaru Coast was the resort group’s choice for the first Anantara in Malaysia.

 

My Johor Stories in Anantara Desaru Coast

It was 2020 when I had my first experience at the resort for a preview of their Ramadan spread, hosted in restaurant, Tumeric.

 

My relationship with Desaru Coast dates back to its early development by the South East Johor Development Authority or KEJORA, into a holiday destination known simply as Desaru.

 

Long before the arrival of international brand hotels and resorts, Desaru was already a familiar destination as our family made many memories from our staycations here.

 

The Library at the lobby level of the resort

Back then, the two-hour scenic drive via Kota Tinggi was part of the fun and excitement of our day-trips and stays at Desaru.

 

As a Travel writer, I had the privilege to participate in countless Familiarisation Trips hosted by Tourism Malaysia, the resorts and hotels, to visit the many attractions dotted in the Eastern part of Johor and to share my stories with readers.

 

The opening of the Senai-Desaru Expressway significantly reduced travel time and when Desaru Coast was developed as the region’s first premier beach destination, I participated in many events hosted at the international brand hotels and resorts.

 

View of the South China Sea from the entrance
of the Library at Anantara Desaru Coast

It was also my privilege to witness grand opening celebration for Desaru Coast, officiated by His Majesty the Sultan of Johor.

 

In 2021, I had the pleasure to join Roslina Arbak, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Desaru Development Holdings One Sdn Bhd, for a breaking-of-fast meal at Tumeric (again!)

 

At this event, I met with Anantara Desaru Coast’s General Manager, Christian Gerart, and I distinctly remember his enthusiastic expression as he shared his pleasure in visiting Johor Baru’s heritage quarter.

 

With GM Christian Gerart in the Library

It was a subject close to my heart and I was pleased that he discovered some of the local attractions at the Tan Hiok Nee Heritage Walk, like the Red House, the two traditional bakers – Hiap Joo and Salahuddin – who still baked bread and cakes in a woodfire oven, as well as the much-touted Best Chicken Chop in Town from It Roo Café.

 

Fast-forward to 2022 when inter-state travel was reopened and dine-in was allowed, I accepted the invitation from Public Relations & Marketing Communications Manager, Carol Chin, for a Saturday Seaside Brunch experience at Sea.Fire.Salt, the beachfront restaurant at Anantara Desaru Coast.

 

One for the album: At entrance of the resort

When I arrived at the restaurant, I remember meeting with Daniel Firdaus, her PR & MarCom team member, but I must confess that I was absolutely blown away by the captivating ambience and delectable meal designed in the seaside escapade theme.

 

Over our leisurely lunch, I had the pleasure of introducing the Johor I know to Carol, who is not from Johor, and was delighted to learn that she had started the process to order my books for the resort from MPH Kuala Lumpur.

 

Her order included my 2017 Bestseller, My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage, and its sequel, My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational Places.

 

Signing my books for the resort

In February, when Carol informed me that their order for my books was safely received, she also invited me to join the preview of their Ramadan spread at the Tumeric. However, for personal reasons, I had no alternative but to decline.

 

Some resorts and hotels here, who know that guests liked to stay in a place with a story, have placed my books in their better rooms and suites for their guests’ reading pleasure.

 

Reading My Johor Stories in the comfort of their rooms certainly enhances the guests’ stay and (I was told!) some guests at one of these resorts probably enjoyed my stories so much that they conveniently packed my books and took them away…

 

When I had arranged with Carol to autograph my books and meet with GM Christian at the resort, I arrived at their Library ahead of our appointment and had time to look around – and spotted stacks of my books there.

 

Signing my books for Anantara
Desaru Coast Resort & Villas

It was good to (later) learn that Carol had already read Book One and was now reading its sequel, while it was Daniel’s turn to read Book One.

 

As many team members in resorts and hotels were not from Johor, it was ideal for them to get acquainted with Johor heritage by reading My Johor Stories and equipping themselves with some knowledge to respond to guests’ queries and impress them with interesting snippets of info on Johor culture and heritage.

 

When we met again, I had the pleasure of briefly sharing with Christian, my exciting experiences on how My Johor Stories have been connecting people to Johor. In fact, some of these unique experiences were shared in, Connecting People through My Johor Stories, my TEDx Talk presented in 2019.

 

With the help of Carol and Daniel, who doubled up as stylists and photographers, we had a comfortable photography session before I got down to signing my books.

 

Thank you Daniel, for your photos!

While some books will be in the Library for the guests’ reading pleasure, Christian said that autographed copies of My Johor Stories will be premium gifts, presented to distinguished guests, to let them take home a slice of Johor as an extension of their stay at Anantara Desaru Coast in Johor.

 

When the last copy of my book was signed and safely stored away, I was invited to lunch at the Tumeric. While I enjoyed the meal and the company, the best bit was when Daniel presented me with a pen-drive filled with copies of our photographs.

 

Anantara Desaru Coast Resort & Villas is the Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas group’s first luxury hotel in Malaysia, located at Persiaran Pantai, Desaru Coast, 81930 Bandar Penawar, Johor.

 

For reservations, Tel: +607 – 8280 888 or email: desaru@anantara.com

For more information, visit webpage: www.anantara.com

 

Photo Credit: Anantara Desaru Coast, PR & MarCom Team

No comments:

Post a Comment