Citarasa Tradisi at Ramada this Ramadan


It’s my first visit to the Ramada Meridin Johor Baru in Iskandar Puteri so I start early, taking into account the time I may need to find my way to the restaurant in this hotel.

Welcome to Delish Restaurant on Level Five of
Ramada Meridin Johor Baru in Iskandar Puteri
I must be looking quite lost because a helpful staff comes along and directs me to the bank of elevators that would take me to Level Five where Delish Restaurant is situated.

And when the elevator doors open on Level Five, I can hear the delightful sound of splashing water.

This soothing splash is created by tall sprays of water designed in the water feature within a landscaped garden.  

I’m early so I take my time to walk along a pathway that cuts across the swimming pools that are built between the two building blocks.

Chef Mozart Muhamad in action at Delish
I take a second look when I spy exercise equipment submerged in a pool.

“I wonder if I may experience a workout in this refreshing outdoor, underwater gym,” the thought flashed – if and when the opportunity arises – very soon, I hope.

Instead of lingering, I remind myself to move on to keep my appointment to preview the menu in the Citarasa Tradisi dinner buffet for Ramadan at Delish Restaurant.

Looking at the spread, I’m glad I brought my appetite along, ready for my first taste of the menu created by the culinary team led by award-winning chef – Chef Mozart Muhamad.

While I’ve heard about the good food served at Delish, I always remain impartial as I wait to discover the highlights featured in this Ramadan buffet.

I join a small queue anticipating to be served portions of Johor’s Kambing Kuzie, a popular whole roasted lamb, to savour with the flavoured rice which was cooked within the lamb.

Add caption
My patient wait pays off handsomely.

As I chew on a morsel of the juicy meat with a spoonful of fragrant rice, I’m delighted that it’s both moist and delicious even without any gravy.

In fact, it’s so good that you can eat it on its own!

As I mull over the authentic taste of the Kuzie lamb and rice flavoured with bursts of raisins and cashew nuts, it just reminds me of the same dish that I used to enjoy at our late Uncle Nyeh’s home during Raya.

At the Laksa & Noodle counter, I take a close (and critical) look at the ingredients prepared for diners to assemble their own bowls of Laksa Johor.

Ingredients for Laksa Johor must include classic spaghetti,
chai poh, daun kusom and Sambal Belacan for topping!
While they have replaced the slivers of raw cucumber with finely chopped long-beans, I’m glad to see the essential ingredients of chopped Chai Poh or preserved radish, chopped Daun Kusom and Sambal Belacan as toppings, among other must-have ingredients for Laksa Johor.

As the saying goes, The proof is in (eating) the pudding, and for Laksa Johor, the proof is in its gravy.

Even as I ladle the rich gravy over the laksa ingredients, I can smell its aroma and see that it’s chockful of minced fish.

“Mmm…,” I cannot help but let out a murmur of satisfaction at my first taste.

The Laksa Johor gravy is chockful of minced fish!
I’m delighted that it’s not only satisfyingly rich in flavour and fragrance but it even sparked fond memories of a familiar taste where I first enjoyed Laksa Johor at my friend, Emma’s home every Raya during our secondary school years!

The hotel’s Acting General Manager, Jac Khoo, is mingling with guests and when she asks for my comments about the food, I reply without hesitation.

I tell her that the familiar taste of two traditional favourites, Lamb Kuzie and rice, and Laksa Johor (in particular) feels like I was eating it in someone’s home – which (in my opinion) is a high compliment to the chef and his culinary team.

Chilled tumblers filled with Cendol for dessert
All this is happening before I learnt that Chef Mozart comes with such strong credentials and a reputation as a guest judge for three consecutive years, 2011, 2012 and 2013, in the reality television series, Masterchef Malaysia.

Jac has reason to be proud of the Malay cuisine served here and I cannot help but agree, especially after tasting the finger-licking-goodness of their Chef's signature deep-fried crispy chicken marinated in herbs, spices and lemon grass.

Then she reminds me to have a taste of the Assam Pedas Fish which is served from a live cooking station.

Is this bubur Som Som or Lompat Tikam?
I accept her recommendation and head over to pick my choice from various cuts of fresh fish to be cooked in the Assam Pedas gravy along with selections of vegetables like long beans, brinjal (eggplant) and ladies fingers (okra).

Unaware that Jac is keeping an eye on the chef as he prepares my portion, I wander off to see the choices of local desserts, kuih and pastries in the attractive buffet.

I spot chilled tumblers filled with layers of coconut cream and Gula Melaka (palm sugar) and can identify Cendol from its unique Green threads of rice flour but the nearby batch of local dessert in tumblers seem rather unfamiliar.

Taking a closer look at the layers of Green (Pandan) and White rice flour soaked in Gula Melaka, my Malay friends get into a lively debate about its identity and origin.

Some are guessing that its bubur Som Som, a dessert with a Javanese origin while others insist that its Lompat Tikam, a Malaysian dessert popular in Kelantan and Terengganu.

Acting GM Jac Khoo,serving my
portion of Assam Pedas Fish
I’m thoroughly amused by the verbs involved in the name, Lompat Tikam, because it literally translates as, “jump and stab,” a rather violent description of a delightful Malay dessert made with glutinous rice, coconut cream and palm sugar!

Once again, The proof is in (eating) the pudding, and after a taste test of both these soft and chewy desserts, we safely conclude that this serving should be bubur Som Som rather than Lompat Tikam.

[This interesting eye-opener about local dessert names will lead me on to discover more bizarre names of delightful Malay desserts in the next Ramadan buffet previews…]

While I’m distracted by the friendly dessert debate among my friends, I have not forgotten about my order for assam pedas.

I’m just about to get it when Jac comes along to personally serve me with my portion of Assam Pedas Fish.

I’m deeply honoured by her kind hospitality and we agree that the only way to enjoy the rich flavour of assam (sour) pedas (spicy) gravy is with two spoons of rice. Yum!

Jac and her team continue mingling with guests and when she finally sits down with me, she shows me a photograph stored in her phone and asks if I recognised the people in the photo.

Of course!

It's my pleasure to autograph my book for Jack Khoo
She’s local artist, Grace Lim, a subject from Kampung Kayu Ara Pasong in Pontian whom I featured under Portraits in my book, My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People.

She is captured in a shot with the Prime Minister’s wife, Tun Dr. Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali.

I know that Grace presented her painting to Dr. Siti Hasmah at the International Women’s Day Art Exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur in 2013 and her art was also featured in an exhibition held in conjunction with the Prime Minister’s birthday last year.

A screen shot of her Facebook post by
Jac Khoo on our evening at Delish
Restaurant in Ramada Meridin JB 
I’m pleasantly surprised when Jac tells me that Grace is her sister-in-law who has also presented a copy of my book to her!

Then Jac disappears for a while and when she returns, she has my book with her and a request for me to autograph it.

From the many tasty highlights of traditional food to discussing about my book, it’s my pleasure to end it so sweetly by signing on Jac’s book as a special memento of my first of many (I hope!) visits to the Ramada Meridin JB.

The Citarasa Tradisi dinner buffet will be served at Delish Restaurant, located on Level Five of Ramada Meridin JB, from May 10 to June 2, daily from 6.30pm to 10.00pm.
                                                                                                                                    
Enjoy Early Bird deals of RM75 nett per person and RM48 nett for children aged five to 11 years when vouchers are purchased before May 5.

From May 6, prices are RM88 nett per person and RM58 nett for children aged five to 11.

Ramada Meridin Johor Baru is at No. 5 Jalan Legoland, Bandar Medini Iskandar, 79259 Iskandar Puteri, Johor Baru.

For reservations, Tel: 607 – 531 8888 or email: info@ramadameridinjohor.com. 

Visit website: www.ramadameridinjohor.com for full details of menus and special promotions at the hotel and restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment