Crafted Cocktails in their first Speakeasy


I did not hesitate to accept that exclusive invitation for a Speakeasy Experience at Hard Rock Hotel Desaru Coast and it’s not often that I get treated like Rock Royalty.

I discovered that John Lennon was also there!
I’m told that this intimate group is limited to just 16 guests who will enjoy crafted cocktails, custom-designed to match our taste-buds, by Rockstar award-winning bartender, Chris Danial.

Since my first peek last October – where I met Chris and sampled his creative cocktails – I’ve been back at the hotel several times for various events.

Their Speakeasy experience promises something new and exciting, and I’m all set for it.

The word, Speakeasy, is derived from the era where alcohol was prohibited in the United States and places where alcoholic beverages were illegally sold were spoken of in hush-hush tones (to avoid attention from authorities!), thus earning its nickname, Speakeasy.

Bartender Chris Daniel [Right] with his Rockstar team
The Speakeasy concept, which often involves a complicated and mysterious trail to reach the desired illicit alcoholic drinks, has been adopted by some establishments here and these places have taken mystery to new heights with exciting creativity!

From the guided tour on my first visit to the hotel, I remember that the bar is located at the Elephant and Butterfly, next to the swimming pool.

There is really no mystery about where the bar is located but in the spirit of Speakeasy, I arrive at the hotel, ready to be wowed by something excitingly different…

Now, here’s the thing about Speakeasies: I CANNOT and will NOT reveal the mystery or it will no longer by a mystery. And I refuse to spoil your fun!

My tiny form completed and ready to submit to the bar
I will, however, share that I was welcomed by a staff member bearing a tray laid out with squares of wrapped cardboard – she told me not to unwrap it yet – and pointed me in that general direction to find my way to the event…

Staff members were stationed at various spots along the route to keep an eye on guests, lest they wander off – or end up in the pool – but nothing so dramatic happened.

Recalling their subtle hints, I follow my instincts and finally find my way through that mysterious route to that all-important door that opens into the exciting event.

Rockstar bartender, Chris Daniel, in action behind the bar
I join guests already seated around low tables in the spanking new Club Lounge as Rockstar bartender, Chris Daniel, starts the event with a brief intro and then introduces his talented band of bartenders.

They are Melaka-born Mamat, who went from Barista to Bartender; Ayman, also from Melaka, whose inspiration was sparked by ‘Cocktails for You’ videos; Scha from Pahang and Yeu En and Bots, both from JB.

Chris, who hails from the Portuguese Settlement of Melaka, has a distinguished list of bartending credentials, foremost of course, is the prestigious First place in the Asian competition for London Hit the Right Key Gin Cocktail Master.

A charming cocktail for Grace Chiam
He explains that this inaugural event is a platform for the team to showcase their talents and creativity by whipping up cocktail recipes to meet the tastes of individual guests.

Then it’s time to unwrap the cardboard which I had earlier picked up from the tray.

This is a tiny form to complete with my choice of tastes and drink preference – and my name, of course – so that the bartender will design this cocktail specifically for me.

While I take my time to mull over the choices, the action has already begun at the bar.

Guests whose forms were already submitted, are gathered around the bar to watch and marvel at the bartenders’ skills and showmanship as they create his/her desired drink.

I hear names being called out which means, “Your drink is ready so come and get it!”

Aaron Barnabas and his own crafted cocktail
Our gracious hosts, Marketing & Communications Director, Grace Chiam, and Vibes Manager, Aaron Barnabas, join me at the table with the reassurance that my drink will be personally created by Rockstar bartender Chris. Yay!

Meanwhile, serving staff are coming around the tables to offer tasty snacks and canapes for guests to nibble while sipping our cocktails.

I then join guests gathered in front of the bar to watch Chris in action.

At one point, he raises both arms – with a shaker in each hand – and moves his arms with a dizzy momentum…

He is wearing a mask over his mouth, a mean looking black leather piece studded with pointy metal studs, probably to conjure a more menacing image because he’s after all, a real cool guy.

Totally focused on his task, his movements are smooth and dexterous as he pours measures into the jigger or uses a strainer while he tips contents into a cocktail glass.

The final part of the dramatic procedure to create my drink...
involves a flame and much smoke!
Every now and then, Chris calls out an instruction – quite unintelligible to me (because it’s muffled from behind his mask!) – but his team seems to understand and swiftly responds by handing him an instrument or item.

I cannot help but imagine that this scenario is somewhat similar to that within an Operating Theatre when the surgeon (also wearing a mask!) is focused on the surgery and he suddenly calls out for an instrument and his nurse swiftly responds!

At the final stage of preparing my drink, he shifts his mask away to talk about the next step of the dramatic procedure, just as how a good bartender often interacts with his guests.

He adds that the reason why he wears a mask is to hide his mouth because he has a nasty habit of talking to himself while he works…

Ta-da!! As the fumes clear, I see my delicious drink!
Each bartender will develop his or her own (quirky) style and persona and Chris has certainly come a long way in his bartending career, now well equipped to mentor his team.

Once Chris has completed his list of cocktail requests, he hands over the bar to his team while he mingles with the guests and finally sits down for a chat.

When the creative cocktails are served, guests happily admire the unique presentations before taking stingy sips of their delightful drinks – in an attempt to make them last longer.

Meanwhile the bartenders are keeping busy as some guests are submitting more tiny cardboard forms with repeat requests and second cocktail choices.

As the drinks flowed, conversations are louder and mood is turning more convivial.

Me-thinks the first Speakeasy experience at Hard Rock Hotel Desaru Coast with Chris and his Rockstar bartending team, is turning out to be a buzzing success!

Here's a sneak peek into what went down at the first Speakeasy experience.

Hard Rock Hotel Desaru Coast is located at Jalan Pantai 3, Desaru Coast, 81930 Bandar Penawar, Johor.  Tel: +607 838 8888

For info on more events and the next Speakeasy Experience, visit website: www.hardrockhoteldesaru.com

No comments:

Post a Comment