Friendship, fruits and food fellowship

 

Over and above the global pandemic and lockdowns, a great deal had happened since our Japanese friend, Ben Y. Matsumoto, visited us in Johor Baru back in April 2016.

 

The arrival hall at Senai International Airport

While we stayed in touch through email, Ben inadvertently lost my email address and was clever to try to get in touch by writing to me through the My Johor Stories blog.

 

As he was trying to track me down online, (he told me later!) Ben stumbled upon my stories stored in my blog that featured Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arrangement.

 

When he read on, he realised that I probably know more than him about the various schools of ikebana like Ikenobo, Ohara, Sogetsu, Ryuseiha and Ichiyo where each school follows a particular set of rules and arrangement techniques.

 

Ben Y. Matsumoto [Right] enjoying lunch
with Charles and his wife, Siew Ying

With much going on in my social media, I seldom opened the mailbox in my blog so I failed to read his message that informed me about his visit to Johor Baru this June.

 

So I was pleasantly surprised to receive a telephone call from Ben, who expressed his concern that I failed to reply because the date of his visit was fast approaching.

 

When he mentioned his problem with my email address, I assured him that I would send him an email to reconnect with him as soon as we ended the phone conversation. And so, Ben and I were reconnected by email again.

 

Ben enjoying dinner with Titus and his wife,
Margaret, and a group of young people

Through an exchange of emails, we made arrangements for his domestic flights and hotel accommodation as well as the activities with him during his stay here.

 

That Saturday morning, I was at Senai International Airport to meet Ben on his arrival. As it was still early, I took a walk around Aero Mall to see the changes since I was there more than three years ago.

 

When I saw the shuttered façade of the shop unit that formerly housed the MPH bookstore* it pained me to see that a great deal had indeed changed since the global pandemic and lockdowns.

 

Ben enjoying a taste of durian again

The flight from Kuala Lumpur arrived ahead of schedule and it was a pleasure to welcome Ben to JB again.

 

On our drive into the city, the route seemed familiar to Ben but even he noticed the changes in the landscape that had happened over the years.

 

I observed that Ben only carried a backpack but his other carrier bag was larger. And when he presented the big bag to us, I was deeply touched to see that it was a gift of beautifully packed, exquisite quality Japanese cookies for everyone to enjoy.

 

While his visit was just an overnight stay, it was a pleasure to have fellowship with Ben over a range of food and his favourite local fruit, durian.

 

I was amused to see that Ben had brought along an enlarged copy of a group photo taken with the assembly at Johor Baru Gospel Chapel as a reference to the people he was familiar with.

 

A we-fie group shot captured at the Drum Up
JB! Coffee Talk on Sunday, June 18

While it was bittersweet to point out that several people had already gone to heaven, we reminded Ben that the younger ones had now grown beyond recognition (ahem!) mostly taller than him.

 

On his previous visit, I had the pleasure of sharing with Ben a bit more of the new development in Iskandar Puteri as well as a walking experience of the Heritage Quarter besides having food and fruits fellowship.

 

Another we-fie with Ben at afternoon tea

While his visit this time was rather short, we still made sure that Ben had the opportunity to spend time with as many people over food and his favourite fruit.

 

Incidentally, Ben was also among the audience for the Drum Up JB! Coffee Talk where I was the Moderator with three guest speakers, held on Sunday, June 18.

 

After he read from my blog of the same name, Ben reminded me that he wished to have the trilogy of My Johor Stories books as a sweet souvenir of his time in Johor.

 

Ben with his trilogy of
My Johor Stories

So before sending him to the airport for his return flight, we shared a leisurely afternoon tea where I presented my autographed books to Ben. For me, it was sheer pleasure to know that My Johor Stories have now gone to Japan.

 

Meanwhile, Ben also received buah tangan, a gift of local coffee that was infused with durian. So we strongly advised him NOT to open the sealed pack until he reached home or risk getting thrown off his flight.

 

Even though it was such a brief visit, we enjoyed a mutually blessed time together. May God be with you till we meet again, Ben.

 

*While all the MPH bookstores in Johor Baru are now closed, hardcover and softcover versions of My Johor Stories are available from MPH bookstores nationwide and online from mphonline.

 

Meanwhile in Johor Baru, My Johor Stories are available from two (2) outlets which carry a small stock of my books.

 

1] Johor Area Rehabilitation Organisation or JARO, at No. 18 Jalan Sungai Chat, Sri Gelam, 80100 Johor Baru, Johor. Open from 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed on Friday and Saturday. Tel: +607 – 227 5314.

 

2] YSpace, located at No. 2 Jalan Yahya Awal, 80100 Johor Baru, Johor. Open 11am to 7pm. Closed on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment