More than words can say ...


It's not easy to find more ways to say Thank You for the love and support from friends and family, MPH Publishing Kuala Lumpur and Think City, my book subjects and their families, and all the generous heroes who contributed selflessly prior to and during the launch of my book sequel, My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People.

Presenting my book to Iskandar Regional Development
Authority, Chief Executive, Datuk Ismail Ibrahim
It was simply heart-warming to have so many people who wanted to be present, to witness this momentous event with me.

And because this book features true stories about real people, I’m deeply honoured at how the subjects and their families found it comfortable to share their life stories with me.

Some of the Heritage Trades and Portraits are established brands and household names that really needed no introduction.

Datuk Ismail Ibrahim picking out
some numbers for the Lucky Draw
But it was fascinating to hear the family stories that started the businesses that continue to thrive in the care of their third and fourth generation family members.

While planning my book launch event, I decided to involve as many of the book subjects and they readily agreed to participate with me.

So at the lunch buffet, guests had a taste of Mee Rebus Haji Wahid, banana cake by Hiap Joo Bakery and South Indian specialties by Kerala Restaurant as well as fresh cut fruits from Desaru Fruit Farm and a Do-It-Yourself salad bar with freshly grown microgreens and lettuce from FOLO Farms.

Besides contributing food items that were served in the lunch buffet, some of the book subjects contributed items as prizes for the Lucky Draw.

The idea was for my guests to not only read about these establishments/brands in my book but to encourage them to go out there to have their own experiences!

There were vouchers for meals to enjoy at Kerala Restaurant, Mee Ho Seng Kee and Volcano Thunder Tea Rice while the Desaru Fruit Farm offered farm tours that ended with their special fruit-inspired set lunch.

I had the privilege to pick the numbers for the top prizes
Meanwhile, FOLO Farms provided vouchers for groups of four to join farm tours that included a composting tutorial and Aw Pottery Studio also offered similar vouchers for groups of four to join a Clay Workshop there.

The Asian Pie ladies provided two of their autographed Asian Pies recipe books as prizes while guests also won vintage photographs of Johor Baru contributed by Johore Heng Photo Studio and replicas of artwork by Grace Lim.

When asked which items I wished to place as the top prizes, I did not hesitate to point to the traditional cotton-stuffed pillow and bolster contributed by Sin Keng Wah Kedai Tilam!

Winner of the traditional cotton-stuffed pillow by
Sin Keng Wah Kedai Tilam in Johor Baru
I could feel a rising sense of excitement as the Lucky Draw continued at a fast pace and suddenly, we were already at the top few prizes.

My event MC later confessed that he was also eyeing the traditional cotton-stuffed pillow and bolster, and because he did not win either one of these items, he has now decided to visit their shop at Jalan Trus to buy some for himself!

I had arranged for several guests to help draw out the numbers and when the numbers were announced, I noticed that two lucky families – represented by a few family members each – won multiple number of prizes!

I too couldn’t help being swept along with the fun and excitement as guests leapt out from their seats with their lucky numbers to claim their prizes from me.

Everyone waited with bated breath when the final two numbers were about to be announced for the top two prizes: the traditional cotton-stuffed pillow and bolster.

Winner of the cotton-stuffed bolster by
Sin Keng Wah Kedai Tilam!
I may be forgiven for not remembering who won which prize but I can clearly recall that the cotton-stuffed pillow went to Jack Lim’s (Kluang Rail Canteen) daughter-in-law while the cotton-stuffed bolster went to Ian Lee’s (grandson of Madam Sweet Potato) wife, Polina!

I was just delighted that besides my book and many fond memories, my guests left the event with a door gift in the form of a bookmark exclusive to this event and a packet of delicious Kluang RailCoffee. And for the winners, they have additional Lucky Draw prizes as special mementoes of my book launch.

Words cannot fully describe my deepest gratitude for the active and generous participation of my book subjects that went a long way to make my book and its contents come alive for everyone to experience and enjoy. Thank you ever so much!

Get your own copy of My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People, now available from MPH bookstores nationwide and online via www.mphonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment