Building up budding writers in Team Johor

 

When Nur Atiqa Ismail reached out to ask whether I was keen to give 16-year-old budding writers my input on effective narrative writing techniques, she also explained that they were members of Team Johor to represent our state in the National Essay Writing Competition.

 

One for the album: Peggy Loh with Team Johor


Atiqa introduced herself as one of the master trainers in a two-day Writing Boot Camp organized by Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri Johor or the Johor State Education Department, held at the Pusat Kokurikulum Kem Tasek Utara.

 

She also provided a Google Map to this location at Jalan Tun Abdul Razak, Susur 7, and when I reviewed the map, I had a flashback to the pre-pandemic years when I drove pass and spotted tents set up in that area for school outdoor camp activities.

 

Atiqa said that the essay writing competition was divided into two categories for Bahasa Melayu and English, and Team Johor for English-writing comprised six members who represented schools located in Pasir Gudang, Kota Tinggi, Tangkak, Muar, Mersing and Johor Baru.


My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich
Heritage
was a 2017 MPH Non-Fiction Bestseller

While this invitation was on very short notice, I was well prepared to participate in the training and share something that will benefit the budding writers.

 

This was because in recent years, I have had the privilege to talk to adult groups, women groups, youth leaders in national schools, secondary and primary schoolchildren as well as university undergraduates in international private schools.

 

Atiqa said that she used My Johor Stories for teaching narratives to her SPM (O Level) candidates and happily declared, “I’ve always been a big fan of your Johor Stories and your storytelling techniques.”

 

The trilogy of My Johor Stories

This sent me on yet another flashback when my stories published in the newspapers, were often used as English lesson teaching materials – teachers told me – in that era when Newspapers-in-Education (NIE) was encouraged in the classroom.

 

As Atiqa and I discussed further details, I assured her that while I do my part to encourage and inspire, Team Johor will certainly benefit from their time with me.

 

I told her that the visual presentation on my journey to My Johor Stories will include helpful tips that the youngsters should adopt to equip themselves in order to produce quality writing.

 

Table covered by my collection of
old newspapers and My Johor Stories books

For a lively, interactive time together, I will also bring along some of my published pieces to show the youngsters and invite questions. And so it was decided that I would share two hours with Team Johor that morning.

 

As I pulled out my collection of published pieces, it was like a walk down the proverbial Memory Lane.

 

When I saw the stacks of yellowed pages of the Travel Times that I have kept since 2004, JBuzz/Streets Johor to the pages dedicated to My Johor Stories in the print issues of The Iskandarian, the official newspapers of Iskandar Malaysia, it felt good to look back on a bygone era when these original pieces of my work shared much info with readers nationwide.

 

As I pondered about how these published pieces may inspire the youngsters, I knew that I must share with the 16-year-olds, my writing journey that went step-by-step from writing school essays to writing copy for clients and then published pieces in the mass media, before becoming a bestselling, published author.

 

In a very short space of time, I organized all the materials for my presentation and was ready to meet the youngsters, Atiqa and other trainers at the camp.

 

An engaging time with Team Johor

Meanwhile, Atiqa offered to show me some of the written work by members of Team Johor and sent it through by email for my review and constructive comments.

 

In the training room that morning, while I was arranging my collection of old newspapers on the table, I overheard someone exclaim in surprise to see hardcopies of newspapers. It suddenly occurred to me that with the common use of electronic devices, hardcopies of newspapers have indeed become a thing of the past.

 

Our time together opened with Introductions. When I invited members of Team Johor to introduce themselves, one-by-one they volunteered their names and the schools they represented.

 

They were Nur Alya Hana Roszaidi, SMK I J Convent, Johor Baru, Ahmad Syameel Haweem Jaiha, SMK Pasir Gudang, Ismalina Fitri Suhaimi, SM Sains Kota Tinggi, Ryhanna Jasmine Abdul Razak, SM Sains Muar, Tangkak, Akif Zafran Zainal Fitri, SMKA Maahad Muar, and Nurdini Aisyah U’mairah Yuzri, SM Sains Sultan Iskandar, Mersing.

 

Team Johor shared a beneficial time with me

With Atiqa and other trainers seated at the rear of this group, I kept the youngsters engaged with my presentation. We shared a lively time of learning together as I encouraged active participation and questions.

 

In closing, I invited them to have a closer look at my published pieces and when they gathered around the table, they did not hesitate ask questions about some of the stuff that I had written from my experience.

 

There was just too much to share in such a short space of time but I believed that these youngsters have received enough input to chew on for a start. They were just starting out and have much to do to equip themselves. As they grow in knowledge and writing skills, they would go far in their careers with the right guidance.

 

A few days later, Atiqa shared with me some feedback comments that she garnered from members of Team Johor. She said:

 

“Your session was highly informative and insightful. Your expertise and experience in the field of writing and journalism provided valuable insights and tips for the Team to improve their writing skills and techniques.

 

They found your session to be engaging and motivating as you shared practical advice on how to engage readers. Your emphasis on the importance of research, critical thinking and creativity in writing resonated with the Team and they appreciated your hands-on approach to improving their writing skills.

 

Additionally, your anecdotes and examples from your own writing experience added a personal touch, making it relatable and inspiring to the Team. They also found your feedback on their writing samples to be constructive and helpful in identifying areas for improvement.

 

Overall, the Team felt more confident and equipped to represent Johor at the National level after attending your session.

 

They expressed gratitude for the opportunity to learn from a seasoned writer and journalist, and felt inspired to apply the skills and techniques they learned to their own writing projects.”

 

Thank you, Atiqa, for the privilege to encourage and inspire Team Johor to do their best at the National level Essay Writing Competition. Best wishes for every success!


No comments:

Post a Comment