Welcome back to Xin Shan Long!


When I received the invitation to the reopening of the Xin Shan Long Chinese restaurant in Le Grandeur Palm Resort Golf & Country Club, I did not hesitate to accept.

 

An auspicious pair of 'lions' ushered in good
fortune at the reopening of Xin Shan Long
at Le Grandeur Palm Resort Golf & Country Club


On my way to the resort that morning, I was aware that while many familiar staff may have moved on in their careers, nothing could change my long relationship with this resort since those years when I contributed stories to the Travel Times.

 

Then when My Johor Stories was published in 2017, the resort supported me by placing my 2017 MPH Non-Fiction Bestseller, My Johor Stories: Trues Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage, exclusively in the suites for their guests reading pleasure.

 

This gesture certainly enhanced their guests’ stay as was experienced from guest reactions who enjoyed reading My Johor Stories during their stay with the resort.


Unveiling the signboard for Xin Shan Long

When my book sequel was published in 2018, the resort continued its support by placing My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People in their resort suites that comprise four Executive Suites, 14 Deluxe Suites, three Signature Suites and one Presidential Suite.

 

While I looked forward to renewing my acquaintance with old friends at the resort, I was also keen to meet Resident Manager, Puan Jamilah Muhamad.

 

Then at the entrance to the lobby, I met a familiar figure who was also heading to Xin Shan Long – David Balan from the Golf & Country Club.

 


Xin Shan Long was reopened in a traditional
ceremony complete with auspicious lions

We joined the crowd gathered at the restaurant entrance for the reopening ceremony, along with a pair of auspicious ‘lions’ accompanied by a traditional drum and cymbals.

 

This ceremony will be officiated by the resort’s Chief Financial Officer, Tan Kok Leong, Resident Manager, Jamilah Muhamad, and Chef Jimmy Choo Choon Sim.

 

In the tradition of opening ceremonies, the ceremony kicked off with an explosive blast of auspicious firecrackers. At its final “Bang!” the ceremony continued with the unveiling of the restaurant signboard, located front and center, above the entrance.

 

Then the drummer struck up the rhythm for the pair of dancing lions to usher in good fortune and prosperity at the reopening of Xin Shang Long. In keeping with business traditions, the pair of lions danced their way into the restaurant and through the dining halls.

 

Chef Jimmy Choo presenting his
signature Claypot Napier Chicken

As guests were ushered into the restaurant, I was delighted to meet with Executive Assistant, Lynn Halim, and when I was inside, I was welcomed by F&B Manager, Md Nadzrin A. Wahid AKA Toin.

 

A glance around the restaurant showed me that the décor and layout remained virtually unchanged. Meanwhile the former Teppanyaki Restaurant, was converted into a space to serve buffet-style, a selection of dishes featured in the Xin Shan Long menu.

 

Executive Sous Chef at Xin Shan Long, Chef Jimmy Choo, was at the buffet to introduce the dishes and encourage guests to sample his signature Claypot Napier Chicken.

 

He explained that the Napier Chicken is Halal certified and sourced from organically raised poultry that only eats Napier grass. This feed will not only result in the meat’s good flavour but was also a commitment to sustainable and ethical farming practices.

 

Chef Jimmy Choo introducing his
specialty dishes to guests at the buffet

Chef Jimmy will select chicken aged for over 120 days for optimal tenderness and depth of flavour, and marinate the birds in a blend of traditional Chinese herbs to prepare a delicious dish with nutritional goodness.

 

Seated at the same table with me to enjoy the meal were Tan Kok Leong and David Balan who filled me in with updates on the resort and former colleagues, and were happy to say that Front Office Manager, S. Kaithree, better known as Sky, was still here.

 

When Chef Jimmy was able to join me for a chat, I learnt that while he was Hokkien who hails from Penang, he was also skilled in preparing Cantonese cuisine.

 

Getting to know Chef Jimmy Choo
[Photo courtesy of Serene Low]

He was pleased to show me the restaurant menu which featured specialty dishes like the Cantonese harlok or whole prawns in soya sauce and steamed fish in Phoenix sauce.

 

For the convenience of diners, set menus were also offered. For a limited time, diners may enjoy the special reopening promotion in two set menus priced at RM688 and RM888.

 

“My happiness comes from my guests,” declared Chef Jimmy.

 

“When I see them happy after eating my food, then I’m happy,” he added.

 

While this was a new beginning for Xin Shan Long, Chef Jimmy was already brimming with ideas for dishes that will be added to the menu.

 

Xin Shan Long Chinese restaurant is located on the lobby level of Le Grandeur Palm Resort Golf and Country Club, Jalan Persiaran Golf, off Jalan Jumbo, 81250 Senai, Johor.

 

For reservations, Tel: +607 – 599 6000 Extn: 8607. Website: www.palmresort.com


1 comment: