Afternoon Tea at La Madeleine Patisserie


After a delightful dining experience of Modern European Cuisine with a hint of Japanese presented by Koh Chin Hong, the Head Chef at Initial, he told me about plans to serve Afternoon Tea for diners to linger over elegant cakes and pastries.

La Madeleine Patisserie is located within
Initial Modern European Cuisine in Taman Molek
True to his word, Koh invited me over again when he and his pastry chef were ready to introduce the specialties by La Madeleine Patisserie, the pastry shop within Initial.

When my friends and I step into Initial, the fragrance of freshly brewed coffee sends a signal to my brain, reminding me that this Arabica brew will taste just right with cakes and pastries…

My eyes are riveted to the counter where whole tarts, pies and pastries are (still warm!) displayed on platters, ready to be sliced and served.

I zero in on the dainty Madeleines – the namesake of this Patisserie – and learn that they are the pastry chef’s specialty.

Three types of Madeleines to choose from!
Madeleines are prepared in three varieties: the original Lemon, those dotted with Raisins soaked in Rum, and the dark ones made with chocolate and a dash of Baileys Irish Cream liqueur.

Understandably, the cream cakes – made daily from fresh ingredients – are stored in the chiller or may risk melting in our tropical temperature.

A glance at the chalk board tells me that we should sample a slice each of the day’s serving of Orange Chocolate Cake and Mango Cheese Cream Cake.

At the counter, I also spot a Walnut Tart
We are also served a slice each of New York Cheese Tart and Walnut Tart to taste the contrasting textures of smooth cheese in the former and a crunchy bite in the latter.

There is of course, a serving of Madeleines in its three flavours.

[I cannot get enough of these classic French sponge cakes and I’m glad that La Madeleine Patisserie is where I can get a regular supply!]

While sipping our choice of hot or chilled beverages, we savour the cakes and pastries in relative silence, punctuated by murmurs of satisfaction, as the plates are polished clean!

Freshly brewed coffee to savour with a range of cakes
and pastries at La Madeleine Patisserie
I don’t know about the others but I’m glad that Afternoon Tea here is served from 1pm so that I can enjoy a good hot coffee earlier in the day with my choice of cakes and pastries.

Initial Modern European Cuisine [Non-Halal] is at No. 9-G, Jalan Molek 3/20, Taman Molek, 81100 Johor Baru, Johor.

Afternoon Tea is served from 1pm to 5pm; Dinner from 6pm to 11pm.
Closed on Monday.

Tel: +6016 247 0977 or email: initialcuisine@gmail.com

For daily updates, visit Facebook.com/initialcuisine/

No comments:

Post a Comment