A Red Christmas with Ramada Meridin JB

Among the first things I notice when I step into the elevator, are the full-length mirrors used on its doors and interior.

Christmas decorated cakes and pastries for dessert!
Mirrors are very useful for people like me who want a quick look to tidy myself up while moving from the basement carpark to an event upstairs.

The other thing is, “Say Hello to Red.” After seeing it repeatedly in posters throughout my trek to the event, I figured that it must be the hotel’s tagline.

At Level Five I’m warmly welcomed into the restaurant where the preview of their Christmas menu is being held and suddenly, I’m surrounded by a sea of Red!

From the Santa hats to the Red festive outfits donned by the hotel team members, it dawned upon me that Red is also the hotel’s corporate colour which conveniently matches with the cheerful colours of the festive season!

And this bright colour scheme continues in the buffet spread.

Fresh vegetables and pickles to savour with a choice of sauces
My eyes are captivated by the clever combination of natural colours of fruits, flowers and vegetables, both fresh, pickled and cooked, creatively displayed to tempt diners.

[In recent months, my friends and I have been talking about an alternative lifestyle and the benefits of a plant-based diet with the consumption of meat only on one day a week.]

So here I am, looking at the exciting buffet and considering the items in the attractive spread to seek out some plant-based food…

My eyes lock onto the fresh greens – lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, radish and other fruits and vegetables – for diners to savour with a variety of sauces.

A platter of colourful roasted vegetables
[Foreground]; Cold Cuts [Background]
This is just next to jars of crackers to nibble with a range of cheese, displayed on the cheese board.

Nearby, the colourful platter of roasted vegetables keep me rooted to the ground as I admire the artful display of contrasting colours in capsicum, big onions, corn on the cob, asparagus, eggplant and carrots topped with a sprinkle of capers!

[Usually in Japanese cuisine, the creative display of food makes me reluctant to start eating as it will destroy the lovely design, so I’m not surprised that I have the same thought about this platter of roasted vegetables.]

In the Carvery section, there are seasonal favourites in traditional Roasted Whole Turkey with stuffing, Rosemary Leg-of-Lamb and herb-crusted baked whole fish to savour with a choice of sauces.

Through the glass-paneled wall, I spy chefs cooking meats on an open grill and on looking closer, I see they are grilling Honey Chicken Wings, Beef & Chicken satay, Herb & Garlic Lamb Cutlets and seafood that will be served with a range of sauces.

Traditional whole Roasted Turkey with stuffing [Left]
and Rosemary Leg-of-Lamb [Right]
In the hot buffet, there is a selection of main course items like Herb & Pesto Seabass Fillets, Baked Seafood Lagsane, HongKong Kai Lan with egg-white gravy and crispy garlic and Seafood fried rice.

There are more Oriental choices from the live-wok station that serves Ginger Beef, Chicken Kung Po and Char Kway Teow or stir-fried flat rice noodles.

Meanwhile I’m still seeking (the elusive!) Assam Pedas, a signature dish in Delish.

And when I ask the helpful chefs, I’m told that a chef behind the counter will serve this gravy hot from the pot, according to my order in a choice of fish or chicken, with ingredients like cut red chilli, slices of eggplant and tomatoes.

Signature dish, Assam Pedas with fish and vegetables
The spicy trail continues to the Noodles Corner where a chef will add hot soup, like spicy Tom Yam, to my choice of noodles topped with a variety of ingredients.

Here’s where I can pick plant-based items like oyster mushrooms, cubes of fried tofu and a variety of vegetables in carrot slices and florets of broccoli and cauliflower to enjoy with my noodles!

It’s a lot of food in this decent spread and I almost missed the Kebab Corner (next to the Noodles!) until the chef making the kebabs politely asks, “Would you like to try our kebab? Chicken or Beef?”

“Why not?” I ask myself as I place my order and watch as he deftly spreads the sauce and line up the vegetable ingredients with my choice of Chicken, to roll them neatly into the bread and slices the thick roll into two.

Takeaway Whole Roasted Chicken set
Back at my table, I shamelessly lick a bit of sauce from my fingers after I pop the last bite into my mouth. No regrets for trying this kebab because it tastes rather good!

Finally, it’s time for some sweetness and I’m admiring the range Christmas decorated cakes and desserts, quite ready to help myself to a slice of that Chocolate Log Cake.

Then I hear an announcement that the hotel has prepared a little surprise for us…

This event is for a preview of their festive buffet, but it looks like something else is about to happen. Filled with a soaring sense of anticipation, I meekly return to my table.

Then the hotel chef and his culinary team wheel in a trolley, laden with a large cake!

My eyes zoom in on the words decorated on the cake and it reads: “With sincere appreciation for your support!” addressed to JOCOM, the short form for Johor Collective Media, and Media members.

This certainly calls for a photo session and after posing for a series of shots to capture a special memento of this occasion, the cake is cut and shared among all guests in the restaurant.

A cake dedicated to JOCOM and Media members!
I always appreciate good desserts, but this cream cake simply tastes special because it comes with the priceless ingredient I call, “warm appreciation.”

As I finish my slice of cake, the thought, “It feels good to be appreciated,” crosses my mind again. Thank you Ramada Meridin JB!

The hotel also offers a Takeaway order for Herb-Roasted Whole Chicken – marinated with five types of spices – that comes with mushroom and spinach stuffing, four portions of butter & raisin rice and three varieties of sauces – Rosemary, Black Pepper and Mushroom.

All this for just RM68 nett and this takeaway should be ordered three days in advance.

Thank you, Ramada Meridin Johor Baru!
It sure feels good to be appreciated.
The Christmas Eve Buffet Dinner on Dec 24 is held in R’s Kitchen on the East Wing on Level Five from 6.30pm to 10.30pm, is priced at RM88 nett per person and 30% off for children aged six to 12.

On Christmas Day, Dec 25, the Buffet High Tea is held in Delish Restaurant on the West Wing on Level Five from 12.00pm to 4pm, is priced at RM58 nett per person and 30% off for children aged six to 12.

Enjoy the Best Deal where four paying adult diners gets one Free. Reservations are recommended.

Hotel Ramada by Wynham Meridin Johor Baru is located at No. 5 Jalan Legoland, Bandar Medini Iskandar, 79250 Iskandar Puteri, Johor. 

Tel: 607 – 531 8888 or email: fbadmin@ramadameridinjohor.com.

For more info, visit website: www.ramadameridinjohor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment