Farewell my friend, Rajpal Singh


On Dec 9, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a brief email with a question from Singapore Consul-General to Johor, Rajpal Singh. It read:

Out-going Consul-General Rajpal Singh
speaking at his Farewell Reception
“Hi Peggy, I just wanted to check if you have received the invitation to my farewell reception on 12 December?”

I promptly replied Rajpal to let him know that I had already confirmed my attendance with his office on November 30.

I had marked my calendar and I didn’t want to miss it.

His email gave me the opportunity to reply personally and let him know that I can never forget the honour that he and representatives of the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs gave my family and I when they came to my dad’s wake some four years ago in January 2016.

[It was not long ago when I welcomed him to Johor at the farewell reception for his predecessor, Ian Mak.]

His speech was sprinkled with
jokes and anecdotes!
At dad’s wake, I still remember the large crowds of friends and family members who came to comfort and support my family and me during our time of bereavement.

When the wake service ended, I stood with my family to thank the attendees who were lined up to give their personal condolences to the bereaved family.

Then I looked up and saw the large crowd and could not miss seeing a tall man who was wearing a turban…

I recognised Rajpal instantly and felt deeply touched and honoured that the Singapore Consul-General and MFA members were present too!

The presence of all these people, particularly Rajpal and his team, meant a lot to me.

In the evening of Dec 12, I was at his Farewell Reception on time to capture a photo memento with Rajpal.

It was an informal affair where guests mingled and then Rajpal was invited to say a few words in his farewell speech.

Thanks for your friendship, Rajpal!
It turned out to be an eloquent one where Rajpal expressed his appreciation to relevant people and I was happy that he used a generous sprinkle of humour, full of jokes and anecdotes that truly tickled. [I just hate farewells!]

I liked how he thanked his wife for her understanding and support throughout his term in office here because she shouldered most of their family responsibilities while he was preoccupied by official duties.

Rajpal revealed that when it became apparent that his term in Johor Baru was coming to an end, there was much speculation as to who was going to take over his role.

To maintain an air of expectancy and to reduce speculation, Rajpal gave hints like, “He’s taller than me,” and “He shares the same surname as me.”

The latter hint was a giveaway because the person stepping into the role of Singapore Consul-General here is Jeevan Singh, who is indeed, slightly taller than Rajpal.

Farewell Rajpal, it was good to know that you had a memorable Johor Baru experience. Best wishes to you as you embark on your next adventure!

Rajpal Singh handing over the reins to Jeevan Singh [Left]
And to Jeevan, I bid you a warm welcome to Johor! Selamat Datang!

No comments:

Post a Comment