A bit of Japan in Johor

When I stepped into the lobby of the Japanese School in Johor where the office of the Japan Club of Johor shares it’s premises, I was politely invited to remove my footwear, place it on the shoe shelves and pick a pair of slippers to wear.


Mihoko Yui, holding My Johor Stories books
My friend, Mihoko Yui, had warmly welcomed me in and gently reminded me that here, they practice a totally Japanese culture.


I met Mihoko in 2013 when I walked into the Japan Consular Office in Johor Baru to apply for a travel visa to Japan*, back then when visas were still required.


I remember overhearing her telling her colleagues that she was familiar with me. I guessed she (probably!) recognised me from my mugshot published with my regular features in Johor Streets, a pull-out section of The New Straits Times.


Mihoko who is married to a Malaysian, settled down in Johor in 1991 and was one of three Japanese based in Johor Baru who were encouraged to help in the Japanese School at Bandar Seri Alam that was established by the Japanese Government.


The school building was completed in 1998 but classes started in 1997 and were temporarily held in the Bandar Seri Alam Properties building.


In Japan, education is compulsory for children from Primary School to Secondary Three and this school was opened in Johor to meet the education needs of the many Japanese families residing here.


In its first year, the school had seven teachers who were assigned by the Japanese Government along with Mihoko and two other Japanese based in JB.


Two years later, when the Japanese Consular Office opened in Menara Ansar, Mihoko joined the team there to look after the welfare of the Japanese in Johor.


After the Consular Office was closed, the versatile and hardworking Mihoko was reassigned to a dual role as Secretary General in the Japanese School in Johor and Executive Secretary of the Japan Club of Johor.


I am working on Book Three of My Johor Stories to share a collection of culture-heritage stories including a piece on the Japanese heritage in Johor so I got in touch with my friend, Mihoko, to help verify some information in my manuscript.


And when I reached her in a WhatsApp message, Mihoko replied instantly with an enthusiastic, “Hi Peggy. I do love both of your books. May I ask for your autograph?”


I was deeply encouraged by her enthusiasm and before I could complete typing the word, “Certainly!” I received a photograph of Mihoko holding up copies of my books, My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage and My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People!


As I outlined the purpose of reaching out to her, Mihoko easily grasped what I had in mind and assured me that I could count on her to provide all the relevant info.


I must have lighted a spark that was fanned into flames because Mihoko quickly did extensive research from online resources and from a valuable collection of reference books in the Japan Club of Johor, and arranged to share it with me.


When we met, she did not hesitate to hand me sheets of paper printed with vintage photographs that she garnered from her online research as proof that the Japanese had been migrating to settle in Johor since the late 19th century.


Vintage photo of the
Japanese in Johor
found online
One photo that seized my attention was of a group of Japanese people standing at the doorway of a building with a signboard above that read, Johore Kikusui Hotel, where Johore had an “e” in its old spelling.


In an online search, I was fascinated to see a list of hotels in Japan with the same name, Kikusui, for hotels located in Narita, Tokyo, and other cities in present-day Japan.


In another photo, a Japanese lady dressed in Western clothes, posed in front of a large signboard that read, Layang-Layang, a town located close to Kluang in Johor.


Mihoko and I understood that Johor and Singapore were once one country in the Johor Empire and while the Japanese may have arrived in Singapore, they had in fact arrived in Johor too.


From the reference books, we discovered that during the prewar years, the early Japanese came to Johor for commercial reasons like plantation and mining works. In fact, Japanese farmers arrived in Muar in 1896.


By reviewing the records in various books, Mihoko clarified that there were in fact, two important men and both were named Ishihara:


One was Farmer Ishihara Tetsunosuke who settled in Muar with a group of 27 Japanese settlers in 1896.


The other was Entrepreneur Ishihara Hiroichiro who managed a rubber plantation in Panchor, near Muar in 1916 and settled in Sri Medan, Batu Pahat in 1919 to prosper as one of the pioneers in iron mining.


Over the next few hours Mihoko and I pored over the pages in the stacks of reference books to verify names, places, dates and important people involved in various events and incidents that I wished to include in my story.


Mihoko searching online to
help me understand better 
And because she is multi-lingual in Japanese, English, Malay and Mandarin, Mihoko was able to translate chunks of important details into English and patiently helped to uncover fascinating details on the Japanese heritage in Johor for me.


Sometimes she would struggle to find the right words in English to share a point with me and she would then turn to her handphone to seek out the relevant info online to let me read and understand it in English.


The Japan Club of Johor has a vast collection of resource materials with many written records were prepared by the Japanese Association of Singapore that was established in 1905.


With a substantial Japanese population in Johor, the Japan Club of Johor was established, and its first meeting was held on 15 October 1916.


At that time there were some 18 families based in JB, not counting those living in the plantations.


Time just passed unnoticed while Mihoko and I were totally immersed in our exciting discoveries on the Japanese in Johor, dating back from pre-war to post-war years.


Souvenir newsletter from the
official opening of the 
refurbished Japanese Teahouse  
When I quizzed her about the Japanese Teahouse and Japanese Garden in the Istana Gardens, she was delighted to share with me that she was involved with the official opening event held on 3 September 2008, after its refurbishment.


In fact, she was the Master of Ceremony for this prestigious event which was graced by His Majesty Sultan Iskandar and the Sultanah, the Japanese Ambassador to Malaysia and other dignitaries as well as a Tea Master from Japan who performed a Traditional Tea Ceremony at the event.


This sparked off yet another discussion about the Japanese Teahouse and I was pleased to uncover more details of the original Japanese Teahouse and Garden, which was a gift presented to Sultan Sir Ibrahim in 1935 to celebrate his 62nd birthday and to mark the 40th anniversary of his reign.


Sultan Sir Ibrahim ruled for 64 years, the longest reigning Sultan in Johor history!


As the hours ticked by, Mihoko and I were simply caught up with the exciting details about the Japanese in Johor. She certainly left no stone unturned in her effort to provide me with interesting and informative facts to help me flesh out my story.


When I felt the prick of hunger pangs, I got the hint to check the time and a glance at my watch confirmed that it was already way past 2.00pm!


Signing my books for Mihoko
As we wrapped up our discussion, I assured Mihoko that I did not forget to bring my signing pen and happily autographed my books for her.


After lunch, we were at the carpark when Mihoko asked if I was in a hurry to leave, to which I replied, “No, hurry.”


She made an about turn to go into her office again (I guessed she must have suddenly remembered something!) and came back with sheets of A4 paper tucked into a thick book.


Then she opened the book to show me a photo, printed in a centerspread, showing a wall mural painted by a Japanese that featured a few words written in Malay.


One for the album: My autographed books!
This, we both agreed, was proof of how the Japanese had assimilated themselves into the community and had even learnt the local language.


And the A4 sheets of paper were photocopies she gave me, filled with the English translation of an oral record from Japanese that provided the relevant info on the Japanese Teahouse and Garden in the Istana Gardens.


As we bade farewell to each other with a traditional low bow, I felt deeply grateful for the help from Mihoko, one who clearly has a heart for history, and who unselfishly shared her knowledge with me.


Terima Kasih, Thank you, Doumo Arigatou Gozaimasu, dear Mihoko!


The office of the Japan Club of Johor is located within the premises of The Japanese School (Johor) at No. 3, Jalan Persiaran Seri Alam, Bandar Seri Alam, 81750 Masai, Johor. For enquiries, please send email to: japanclubjb@japanclub.org.my


*A travel assignment to Awesome Osaka and to experience a Muslim-friendly JapanI had memorable experiences in Takoyaki Heaven, going Kitty Crazy and enjoying everything Distinctly Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment