Back at YWJ to chat on Busana Johor


If you are wondering, what is Busana Johor?


Old photographs of various versions of
Baju Kurung Teluk Belanga [from the
souvenir programme of seminar I attended]
Let me explain that it is the short form for Busana Warisan Melayu Johor, a phrase in Malay and when translated it means, Johor Malay traditional costumes.


In 2005, when elegant outfits were presented in a fashion show for Malay traditional costumes, organized by Yayasan Warisan Johor (YWJ) or the Johor Heritage Foundation, I had the privilege to learn more about the timeless elegance of Busana Johor.


While the commentary was in Malay, I managed to learn more details in English from Hj Shafie Ahmad, my go-to person for Malay culture and heritage in Johor.


My interest in Busana Johor was so ignited that I even joined a training session to sew the Malay costume – Kursus Jahitan Busana Johor – and discover more about the Baju Melayu Teluk Belanga, a style of the Johor Malay costume that had royal origins.


In 2015, I was delighted when Stitched in Tradition, my feature on Jamil Sukaimi of Teluk Belanga Design, was published in The New Sunday Times newspapers to share with readers nationwide more about the Johor traditional costume.


Hj Shafie [Right] sharing his thoughts
while I typed in the additional info
Over the years, I had the pleasure to participate in numerous Malay culture and heritage experiences hosted by the Foundation and where Hj Shafie, a fountain of information and an exceptional host, provided me with relevant info in English.


The affable Hj Shafie has held several portfolios in the Foundation and is currently the Cultural Officer for Public Relations in the Media & Corporate Department, YWJ.


In fact, his passion in promoting Johor Malay culture and heritage had earned him the honour and recognition as the Individual winner in the Arts, Culture & Heritage category, presented by the Iskandar Malaysia Social Hero Awards (IMSHA) 2019.


As always, Hj Shafie shared his knowledge
unselfishly with me!
As I am currently working on Book Three of My Johor Stories, I decided that the beauty of Busana Johor deserves a spot in the Culture-Heritage section, so my go-to person for update information on this subject was none other than Hj Shafie at YWJ.


Recently when I reached him to fix an appointment to meet up, he did not tell me that he was now mentoring three young people, assigned to be Assistant Public Relations Officers with the Foundation.


So, when Hj Shafie welcomed me into the meeting, I was pleasantly surprised to be introduced to Muhammad Nuraffendi Mohamad Amanah (AKA Fendi), Fifiyana Asmida Abdul Samat (AKA Feiya) and Nur Nadzra Natasha Zulkifli (AKA Nadzra).


We had a mutually beneficial time together
Hj Shafie provided a brief background of our working relationship that had developed over the years and such a glowing introduction to Fendi, Feiya and Nadzra, that it just made me blush.


When I saw that they were unfamiliar with My Johor Stories, I took time to share with them about my books and explained why I was there to meet with Hj Shafie.


Then I opened my laptop and read to them, the contents of my manuscript on Busana Johor, to let Hj Shafie help to verify the facts in my story.


As I read on, I was pleased with the silence in the room because it confirmed that I was clearly on the right track.


An illustration of the Baju Kurung
Teluk Belanga from the seminar
materials that I kept since 2005
When Hj Shafie interjected with interesting comments and additional information, I paused to note down the details and sought clarification to make the points clearer.


Even though my manuscript was written in English, there was liberal use of Malay words and phrases to describe parts of the Baju Kurung Teluk Belanga because there was just no better way than to use Malay words.


In fact, I observed (with amusement!) that the young people were rather impressed with the Malay words I used that accurately described the specific parts of this traditional outfit.


Looking back, it was some 15 years ago since I discovered the elegance of the Johor Malay traditional costumes and this subject remains both charming and interesting.


And as I discussed the details of my manuscript with Hj Shafie and his team, I was convinced that this piece must be documented in my next book for the benefit of future generations, not only in Johor but elsewhere where tradition is treasured.


It was my pleasure to meet with Hj Shafie [2nd from Right] and his team,
Fendi and Feiya [Left and 2nd from Left] and Nadzra [Right]

I take this opportunity to acknowledge the help from Hj Shafie, who personally contributed in no small way, to make Johor Malay culture and traditions so much more appealing to me. Terima kasih!


Yayasan Warisan Johor or the Johor Heritage Foudation, is located at Komplex Warisan Sultan Abu Bakar, Lot 888 Jalan Sungai Chat, 80100 Johor Baru, Johor.

No comments:

Post a Comment