Connecting with Dr. Caesar


I first heard about Caesar from my mother, the Midwife who was a colleague of his mother, an Assistant Nurse, who were both then based in the Johor Baru General Hospital.

Dr. Caesar and his daughter, Emma, with me at my
recent book launch for, My Johor Stories 2: Interesting
Places and Inspirational People
He was the firstborn in his family and when it came to naming him, his mother asked my mum for her thoughts.

As he was delivered by C-section, my mum promptly suggested to name him, Caesar.

And to this day, many in his family still call him by this name!

I remember being terrified of his mother, Nurse Cheah Siew Ying, who was once attached to the medical team that visited our primary school in a healthcare programme to give students their BCG vaccination.

No, she was not an intimidating person but I just did not like that she and her team would come to traumatize innocent kids with the pain that resulted from vaccination/injection…

In fact, she had a sweet smile and I recall that she always wore her hair in two long plaits that she wound up to the top of her head and hid its ends under her starched white cap.

Dr. Caesar and Emma with me and my book,
My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People
By the time Caesar’s family moved to live in Larkin Gardens, our parents were already transferred to Masai and were based there for a good 13 years.

On my dad’s retirement from Government service, our family moved back to Larkin Gardens and by this time, Caesar had gone away for further studies.

I’m familiar with his father, Uncle William Tan, to whom my dad had entrusted with the serious responsibility to instruct me with the finer points of driving.

I fondly remember Uncle, who was a patient driving instructor. With the tips that I learnt from my dad and Uncle, I became a rather (Ahem!) competent driver.

Meanwhile, his mum – also retired – was a familiar figure in our neighbourhood because she enjoyed her energetic morning walks and frequent treks to the nearby shops.

When we met on the road, we would exchange hand waves and sometimes when she passed our house, we would exchange a few words across the gate/fence, while she paced on.

My mum would ask after her sons – about Caesar in particular – and we were kept updated about his progress in studies and after his graduation, about his career.

It was always brief stops because she was just on the go, ready to continue her brisk walks.

So I did not meet with Caesar until 1 Dec 2018.

In fact, we only started “talking” in 2017 after his cousin, who happens to be my friend, presented him with my book, My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage.

Dr. Caesar and Emma with Dr Lim Boon Seng and wife
at my recent book launch event in Johor Baru
In our phone chats, Dr. Caesar, now an anesthetist based in Melaka, would share his memories about the JB he knows and fondly remembers.

We discovered much in common because he grew up in his grandfather’s house which was just up the road from our grandfather’s house at No. 154 Jalan Ngee Heng.

Last year, while I was preparing for the launch of my book sequel, My Johor Stories 2: Interesting Places and Inspirational People, I invited Dr. Caesar and his wife to join in the celebration and that was when we finally met.

He planned to self-drive from Melaka on the morning and he turned up at my event with his daughter, Emma, who studies abroad and was back for the year-end holidays.

I recognised him on sight because Dr. Caesar bears a striking resemblance to his father!

He did not hesitate to buy my books and when he discovered that the Lim family in Muar was also featured inside, he told me that he was acquainted with the Lim family of doctors.

The world is indeed, very small – and they must share much in common in the medical fraternity.

In all the busy-ness of my launch event, there was hardly any time to chat before Dr. Caesar and his daughter left for their drive back to Melaka.

Then on the eve of Chinese New Year, I received his message that simply read: “We will be in JB on Tuesday and Wednesday. Please let me know when and where we can meet my Midwife Godmother.”

I quickly shared his message with my mum, who was simply delighted with his proposed visit.

I shared our address – which is walking distance from his parents’ former home – and with a few directions, he got the idea of where we are.

He said in a text message, “I don’t think your mum stayed there when we were living in JB.”

And I agreed with him. That was because our parents were based in Masai for work while we – my siblings and I – lived with our grandparents at No. 154 Jalan Ngee Heng to walk to school quite conveniently.

Dr. Caesar with my mum, his Midwife Godmother!
So on the appointed day, Dr Caesar, his wife and son, Ethan, (their daughter had returned to her studies abroad) came for a CNY meet-up with my mum, the midwife who gave him his first bath!

After I had welcomed him back to his old neighbourhood, we enjoyed a good time of reminiscing about his growing-up years in his grandfather’s house at Jalan Ngee Heng among other fond memories of JB in a bygone era.

He again mentioned “60 years ago…” and then we realized that when we met at my launch event, it was exactly 60 years ago that day when my mum bathed him... because Dec 1 was his birthday!

So surprised that it was his special day too that I said he should have told us so we could have sung him the Birthday Song!

He wanted a photo memento with his Godmother Midwife and I was deeply touched by his FB post on our recent visit together. [I’ve showed it to my mum!]

He posted this photo with the cover design of my book, My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage and said:

QUOTE

This CNY there were reunions galore… We did celebrate it with family and relatives, with friends, with ex-classmates and church members.

But I have to say, this one is the icing on the cake…

Aunt Lucy is a retired midwife and 60 years ago, she was in the OT assisting the obstetrician when I was delivered by C-section.

She was the first lady who (spanked and) made me cry. Literally.

Her story and other interesting events that happened in Johor is delightfully described in this book, My Johor Stories and its recently launched sequel, My Johor Stories 2.

All Anak Johor, take note.

UNQUOTE

It was so good to connect with Dr. Caesar this Chinese New Year and to make new memories with him and his family.

Thanks, Dr. Caesar. My mum also appreciated your visit and enjoyed the reunion with you. Happy Chinese New Year! And Happy Belated Birthday for Dec 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment