Meet-up with Dato' Rahim Ramli


Having served under three Johor rulers, Johor Royal Court Council president, Dato’ Abdul Rahim Ramli is well respected for his knowledge and experience with Johor royal protocol and is a fountain of information on Johor culture and heritage.

View of the Sultan Ibrahim Building on Bukit Timbalan
His vast experience and expertise in the Royal Court made him an authority, not only in matters pertaining to the royal court but also in Johor history.

He compiled the history and practices of the Johor sultanate and the Royal family in a book, Adat Istiadat Kesultanan Johor Moden 1855 – 2012, published in 2014.

Among the books authored by Dato’ Rahim was, The History of the Royal Customs and Traditions of Johor that recorded the traditions of the Johor sultanate including traditional costumes in the Teluk Belanga design, the Johor Military Forces and the State anthem.

In 2015, his book, The Coronation of HRH Sultan Ibrahim of Johor, was published to document the coronation of His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, complete with details on the various stages of the traditional ceremony and the heritage of the elaborate Johor royal regalia.

Entrance to the office of the Johor Royal Court Council
While I was contributing to Johor Streets, the now defunct southern section of The New Straits Times newspapers, Datuk Rahim was also publishing his articles regularly in the same column on the practices of the Johor Royal Court.

Dato’ Rahim is not only familiar with me and my work but was also acquainted with our family because he used to train in badminton with my Aunty Sylvia, back in the days when she was an active international sportswoman.

In 2018, when Dato’ Rahim published his book– JDT, Johor Darul Tazim, An Abode of Dignity – written in the English language, I did not hesitate to get my own copy.

This treasured volume was specially autographed by the author as well as HM Sultan Ibrahim of Johor, who wrote the Foreword in this book.

I’ve learnt to appreciate the documented word in books such as this and as I read on, I found valuable nuggets of information, especially in the final chapter which Dato’ entitled, Snippets of Johor History.

His book proved to be a valuable resource for my research into various subjects on Johor culture and heritage listed in the Contents for Book Three of My Johor Stories.

Written in simple prose for comfortable reading, I had much pleasure in discovering information in this book that confirmed what I already know from other sources.

There were, however, some points which I needed further insights and clarification from the author, so I went about arranging for an appointment to meet with Dato’ Rahim.

I know that Dato’ divides his time between his important role as Johor Royal Court Council president and as Director of Tanjung Puteri Golf Resort, so it was quite an exercise for me to secure an appointment with the busy man.

While there was no apparent urgency (I had explained), it was important for me to have Dato’s undivided attention where I may discuss my book project and its proposed Contents in a relaxed environment for him to consider before sharing his insights and any input.

Meanwhile my request for an appointment was shuttled between Dato’s Personal Assistants based in TPGR and the office of the Johor Royal Court Council in the Sultan Ibrahim Building on Bukit Timbalan, Johor Baru.

And after about 10 days, I was delighted to receive a message confirming that Dato’ had agreed to our meet-up, in his office at the Sultan Ibrahim Building.

[When I later learnt that our appointment was fixed on his day off, I felt deeply humbled that Dato’ did in fact, choose to spare the time to meet me!]

Dato' Abdul Rahim Ramli [Left] and me, in his office
I’ve met Dato’ in his office before so going to Bukit Timbalan and entering the compound of the majestic Sultan Ibrahim Building, was a familiar experience.

Our family fondly referred to this building as, Ah Kong’s office because our grandfather, who used to work with the Johor Land Office, had his office here.

[I shared a photo of this iconic building, standing majestically in the morning sunlight with our family and the response from cousin Bernice – who had just awoken in the UK – was, “Is this Ah Kong’s office?”]

Dato’ Rahim was in his office, dressed in a casual outfit complete with his signature beret, ready to meet me.

Over a cup of tea (Oh, so English!) we shared a convivial couple of hours in a most interesting and informative discussion.

In our chit-chat, we covered a wide range of topics about Johor towns, landmarks and roads in a bygone era.

And I couldn’t help feeling a surge of pride when Dato’ smiled and quoted the title of my story, Going Back to Masai-chusetts* with much amusement.

Dato' Rahim is rather tech-savvy!
I told Dato’ that our family has many memorable experiences in Masai when our parents were based there for work, for 13 years.

Over the years, we witnessed how it grew from a one-street cowboy town into a boom town when Johor Port and the industrial area were developed in Pasir Gudang.

When I discussed my proposed list of Contents for Book Three with him, I paid close attention to Dato’s reaction and comments about each subject.

I knew that if there was anyone in Johor who could give me fair and honest feedback, it must be Dato’ Rahim.

At the close of our time together, I concluded that Dato’ was clearly a gentleman who is generous with his knowledge because he not only approved of what I proposed to do, he unselfishly contributed more info, ideas, anecdotes and even urban legends!

When I told him that I proposed to complete my series of My Johor Stories books with this third and final instalment in an exciting trilogy, Dato’ chuckled.

Dato' Rahim is unselfish with his knowledge
Speaking from experience, he wisely commented that an author can never stop writing.

This was because, even though he had declared that a previous book was his last, he was in fact, currently working on his next book project!

Then Dato’ suggested a photo session and requested his PA to help capture some photo mementoes of us so that he could post them on Facebook!

[It was impressive that he was active on Facebook!]

Time seemed to whizz pass and even though our meet-up was brief, there are not enough words to express how much I appreciate the valuable input I received from Dato’ Rahim.

P. S. Dato’ I cannot forget that you so kindly agreed to meet me on your day off. Thank you ever so much.

* Going back to Masai-chusetts was published under Memories in My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage, available from MPH bookstores nationwide and online via mphonline.

No comments:

Post a Comment