Where it all started...


Reminiscing on where it all started.

That was what event organizer, Karen Aw of In-the-Event and I did when we met again at an event late last year.

A sketch by Yap Hanzhen, Simply Butterflies
In-the-Event was once again, the organizer for this property developer in Iskandar Puteri and I was delighted that Karen was repeatedly entrusted with the task to organize events for their guests and residents.

Seated comfortably in the breezy clubhouse, Karen and I recalled the first time we met in September 2011 when she was the organizer for an event hosted by Leisure Farm, a prestigious gated development in Gelang Patah.

I was pleasantly surprised when Karen told me that the event with Leisure Farm was the very first job that In-the-Event was engaged to do!

This was also the event where I first met with savant sketch artist, Yap Hanzhen, who showcased a range of his pencil sketches for sale in the theme, “Of Obedience, Solitude and Beauty,” with the proceeds donated to the Kiwanis Careheart Center.

I remember meeting Hanzhen’s parents, who were pleased that his first exhibition was well received. This event was also the start of my journey with the Yap family.

With Karen Aw at an event held in a
beautiful property development
at Iskandar Puteri last December
The conversation I had with the Yap’s during this event was the turning point where his parents decided to let Hanzhen embark on a project to sketch landmark buildings in Johor Baru.

At age 13, this gifted young artist was ready and able to accomplish this remarkable feat with the love and support from his parents and brother.

Karen and I paused to consider the circumstances that set her on track to carving out a career in successful event organizing and marveled at how opportunities just came her way and how Hanzhen went on to greater heights of achievement in his art.

When the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johor Baru opened in July 2014, I was delighted to see the walls of its lobby, lounge and restaurants adorned by 101 pieces of Hanzhen’s commissioned work. 

Meanwhile, to document JB’s building heritage, 30 of his sketches of the city’s iconic landmark buildings were compiled and published in a book, My City, My Heritage.  

Over the years, Karen and I stayed in touch and often kept a date for a vegetarian lunch on January 11, the Ethical Eating Day practiced by Tzu Chi members.

A replica of Simply Butterflies
designed on a fabric tote bag
Every now and then, Karen would reach out to me for my recommendations, advice and contacts on who or where to go to for a range of interesting attractions to feature in her events.

In December 2015 when Karen was tasked to engage a choir for a pre-Christmas event with the residents at Leisure Farm Resort at short notice, I agreed to help her.

No, I did not direct her to a suitable source but instead, presented a live performance of a repertoire of Christmas carols at this event, with our church choir.

Looking back over the years, a great deal had happened since that event with Karen at Leisure Farm in 2011, particularly for young Hanzhen.

He went on to get his artwork exhibited not only in Johor, but nationally and internationally in Para Art shows and have participated in numerous projects, both locally and abroad.

When Hanzhen’s parents kept me updated about their son’s art projects, I couldn’t help feeling a reflected sense of pride at how well he was developing his skills.

A section dedicated to Hanzhen's art and products
at Midvalley Southkey Mall, last year
In December 2019, while I was shopping in Midvalley Southkey Mall, I was thrilled to discover a section in the concourse, dedicated to Hanzhen’s art that were replicated on a range of useful products.

Among these products were fabric tote bags and the one that caught my eyes was designed with Simply Butterflies, a design with a cluster of beautiful butterflies that Hanzhen drew for me!

It was designed in a round shape because I wanted to transfer this design onto a custom-made cover for the spare tyre on the back of my car.

A range of Hanzhen’s art and products are now available from the showroom at JARO, the short form for Johor Area Rehabilitation Organization.

Recently, I received a message from my friend Grace, the Director of PR & Marketing Communications at Amari Johor Baru, who was discussing with the Yap family about Art at Amari, the hotel’s Corporate Social Responsibility project in 2020.

Hanzhen's art and products are available from
the showroom in JARO, Johor Baru
While she was talking to the Yap’s about Hanzhen’s art for display in the Spring theme, Grace requested for his Butterfly sketches.

Grace was delighted to discover that the original sketch of Simply Butterflies was with me, presented to me by Hanzhen in 2014.

In 2018, I had the privilege to publish Hanzhen’s story under the Portraits section in my book, My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage.

I’m deeply honoured to be part of Hanzhen’s journey and I share this honour with Karen, the event organizer who invited me to Leisure Farm where I first met with Hanzhen and his family.

Note: My Johor Stories books are available from MPH bookstores nationwide and online via mphonline.

. . .
Glad to share relevant FEEDBACK UPDATE:

After she read this post, Hanzhen's mum, Mrs Yvonne Yap commented: "As always, beautifully written!" 

"Thank you so much, Peggy! Feeling deja-vu now..."

Yvonne went on to tell me about The Gifted Art Exhibition, happening from March 5 to 8 at the White Box, Publika in Kuala Lumpur, where Hanzhen was exhibiting his work along with 24 other gifted artists.

She continued: "You will be interested to know that a big art print of Simply Butterflies with watercolour rendering by Hanzhen was sold to a Puan Sri this morning!"

Meanwhile after Karen had read this, she wrote: "It's a meaningful write-up and thanks for featuring me."

"I got a flashback of good memories. Without you, where would I be? Maybe a different path and a different story," she added.

Karen continued, "My gratitude to you for leading me in the event management field, to hold my hand along the path, and being my friend to share meaningful and helpful knowledge with me."

No comments:

Post a Comment