My Art & Sip experience with #ArtAtAmari

Art & Sip, a guided painting experience under the watchful eye of local artist, Lavannia Kumar, is part of #ArtAtAmari, a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) project by Amari Johor Baru in partnership with local creative individuals and organizations.

My Art & Sip experience with #ArtAtAmari 
Since February, Lavannia or Lava in short, had been conducting two sessions in the evenings on Fridays and Saturdays at the Amari JB with groups of up to 10 people who enjoyed a fun and relaxing time with painting while sipping on a glass of wine, cocktail or mocktail.

When I met Lavannia recently at the #ArtAtAmari event, the young artist reminded me that we previously met in 2017 when I was at the DoubleTree by Hilton Johor Baru to recce the event hall for my book launch event.

She was then attached to the hotel’s Sales Department, in charge of my event for the launch of My Johor Stories: True Tales, Real People, Rich Heritage and she told me that she even bought my book and had it autographed by me!

An Art & Sip experience guided by artist, Lavannia Kumar
It was awkward and embarrassing (for me!) because I failed to recall this, but I was pleased that she had taken the bold step to leave her career with the hotel to pursue her passion in art.

Art & Sip is a fun workshop activity for art amateurs like me to have a go at painting with step-by-step guidance from Lava and would I feel more confident with the artist on hand to guide amateurs to achieve better results.

It was already mid-March when I finally joined the Art & Sip one evening, in a second session set up in a private section of the Amaya Food Gallery.

Lava warmly welcomed me in and let me choose my spot among the easels set up with blank canvases in a semi-circle.

My blank canvas with the reference painting set up in front
As she told me about the previous session that she had with a large group of participants, she mentioned that this would be a small group – just me and another couple.

I was (privately!) pleased because then Lava could then divide her attention among fewer participants.

When Paul and Johana arrived, and we were invited to put on our aprons and to look at the beverage menu to place our order with the waiter, for a choice of drinks.

For this Art & Sip session, Lava had set up a completed painting on an easel in front of us for reference.

Just follow instructions to add paint
according to the artist's instruction
It was painted in a background of shades of blue to black with outlines of two wine glasses superimposed on it and heart-shaped freehand strokes drawn against the blue background into the two glasses which were tipped toward each other.

Next to this she had a blank canvas to show us, step-by-step how to add colours to create the effects so that we would ultimately achieve the completed version.

Lava assured us that we did not have to create the exact copy of her painting, but it was only a visual reference and we were free to adjust our versions to express our artistic individuality…

I was more than ready to start our painting experience and listened closely as Lava guided us to use which brush, which paint colour, which colour to mix with which for a lighter shade, and even the way in which to sweep a stroke across the canvas for the best effect.

Holding the palette and paintbrush in each hand gave me a flashback to my schooldays, which was probably when I last did any painting.

Adding in shades of Blue to the background
Lava explained that we were using acrylic paints and discussed its effect on the canvas while she demonstrated the recommended way to use the paintbrush.

With painting my own nails as my most recent painting experience, this acrylic painting on canvas with Lava was an all-new but fun experience for me.

I wasn’t sure if I was doing it right, but Lava was gentle and encouraging when she saw my canvas.

We know art is subjective and there was no right or wrong way to express one’s art.

Then as more colour was added to the canvas, an image started to form.

The completed background colours on my canvas
And when Lava said that if I did not want my painting to look too dark and that I can use more shades of blue and less black, I felt confident to adjust my colours and continued to paint my canvas quite comfortably.

When the background was completed, we paused to allow the paint to dry before moving to the next step – tracing on the outlines of the two wine glasses.

So absorbed was I with the painting that I had almost forgotten about my glass of Halle Berry, a chilled mocktail topped with berries and (melting) ice chips.

This brief break was an opportunity to chat and enjoy sips of my refreshing drink.

Ta da!! My painting completed with background of
fireflies and a sparkle where the wineglasses meet!
This was also my chance to be a busybody and peek at the other participants’ work because Lava had encouraged Paul and Johana to create a double-canvas by painting one wine glass on each of their canvases.

When Lava confirmed that my canvas was dry and ready to be painted on, I traced the outlines of the wineglasses and painted it Yellow.

The most challenging bit was yet to come.

Then I was encouraged to draw the heart shape using free-hand strokes!

Once again, Lava reminded that my drawing need not be exactly as the reference and this prompted to draw my heart shape smaller than that in her reference painting.

So pleased with my experience to
paint like a pro with Lavannia Kumar!
Before the final bit – creating a sparkle on the spot between the two wineglasses – Lava showed us how to use the fine tip of the small paintbrush to dot “stars” in the night sky.

I thought I followed her instructions quite closely, but my stars somehow turned out to look nothing like her stars but mere blobs of paint…

The ever-encouraging Lava took one look at my rendition of “stars” and agreed with me that instead of shining stars, my dots in the sky looked more like fireflies!

Art & Sip is a fun and relaxing time for amateurs to explore and discover their artistic gifts under the gentle guidance of a self-taught artist.

Thanks Lava, for the experience to paint like a pro with your help (I have my completed canvas as proof!) but I think I should stick to writing.

For more information and reservations for your own Art & Sip experience, visit Facebook page, Art by Lavannia Kumar, Email: lavannia_kumar@hotmail.com or Tel: +6016 739 2592

Priced at RM150 per person or RM280 for a couple, that includes art supplies and one glass of house wine, cocktail or mocktail. The Onyx Hospitality Group Foundation will benefit with 5% from the proceeds.

Amari Johor Baru is at No. 82-C Jalan Trus, 80000 Johor Baru. 

For more info, visit website: www.amari.com/johor-bahru

No comments:

Post a Comment